Pages

Monday, October 3, 2016

DIY Sparkle-saur Magnet Chalkboard









I have a birthday party coming up for a very precocious four year old who is currently obsessed with dinosaurs. Her mom on the other hand is about to redecorate her room and has no intentions of filling it with prehistoric green. I wanted to come up with something they both would love, so I put together this magnet chalk board. It will be fun for her to hang up her drawings and things, but the dinosaurs won't be an eyesore in her adorable new room. It was pretty simple, but I definitely needed help from Tom with the dino slicing. I'm not good with saws, and I prefer to keep all my fingers for life. 

Supplies Needed: Magnet chalkboard (here), plastic dinosaurs, stickers to decorate, metallic gold spray paint, small magnets, hot glue gun and glue. 

  1. Either you or someone capable that loves you will cut the dinosaurs in half with a saw. 
  2. Sand any rough edges and lay the dinosaurs out on their sides. Spray paint one side, let dry and repeat on the other side. 
  3. Use scissors to cut your magnets to shape/size. 
  4. Hot glue the magnets to the backs of your sparkly little lizards. 
  5. Decorate the chalkboard using stickers. Tip: regular paper stickers stick the best to the chalk board. I found that the puffy ones just peeled off. 
  6. Optional step - I saved one whole dinosaur and glued to the bottom of the board for added theme.
  7. Hang the dinos with their magnets. 
  8. Gift with a box of chalk. 
If you make this, you should leave a comment with a picture! I would love to see the board made with different themes/animals. Thanks for reading!


1 comment: